Apple Butter Bars

 
These bars caught my eye while looking through a recipe book because I happened to have a jar of apple butter in the fridge. I changed the amounts to suit how much apple butter I had, used large flake oats, added an egg and was pleasantly surprised by these! The apple butter gives them a nice tartness - I would also recommend any thick preserve you have available. I know there would be those in my family who would love this recipe with guava jam.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar (half brown/half white)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups large flake quick oats
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup melted, cooled butter
  • 1 cup apple butter
Method:
  1. Mix dry ingredients.
  2. In a separate little bowl, whisk egg and add butter
  3. Stir egg and butter into dry ingredients. Set aside about 1/3.
  4. Press 2/3 into greased 9X9 pan and then spread with apple butter
  5. Top with left over 1/3 squeezing with hands to make crumbs. Press crumb mix down just slightly.
  6. Bake at 350 F for about 35 - 40 minutes, until golden brown.
  7.  
     
     
 
Posted by Picasa

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »