My Home made Ice-cream (and yes of course its Gluten Free!)




I haven't been able to make my own ice-cream for some years since my ice-cream maker broke and I haven't been able to find another - at the right price, in stock at the right time of year !
But earlier this spring we were looking for a new toaster and I saw a whole shelf of ice-cream makers.  My eyes scanned the shelf until the one at the very end held my gaze !   It was regular priced at $79.00 but  marked down to $24.99 ... OK, that's a deal !!  right ?
So yes..  it found it's way home to my kitchen !

I love ice-cream !  And if I go into an ice-cream shop with 2 million flavours to choose from, what will I order ?   Of course  -  VANILLA !

So I appreciate a good vanilla ice-cream... it has to taste juuuussst right and have that perfectly smooth creamy texture that melts in your mouth! It also has to have the right shade of colour - not pastey white, not  sickly yellow.

My recipe meets the above stated standard. It can be just a starter for those of you who love any-flavour-but-vanilla.  

When the ice-cream is almost set in the ice-cream maker, add fresh berries, chocolate syrup, crushed candy bars or whatever will satisfy your  personal ice-cream flavour craving.

  Vanilla Ice Cream

  • 1 cup milk 
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 egg yolks 
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract (real or artificial, because its cooked it doesn't make too much difference) 
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  1. For the cooked custard place milk, sugar,  egg yolks and vanilla  in a heavy saucepan or the top of  a double boiler.   Bring to a soft boil and cook for a couple of minutes. 
  2. Chill in refrigerator until completely cold. 
  3. Remove from fridge and add 2 cups whipping cream , stir and pour into 'frozen'  ice-cream maker bowl. (make sure the bowl was in the freezer for at least 24 hours - I store mine in the freezer for handy stand-by ready) 
  4. Let the ice-cream maker process the ice-cream until ice-cream is firm -- different makers may vary on the firmness of the ice-cream.  If it is too soft just scrape into container and put in freezer until completely firm. 
  5. Serve as desired.   

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »