Saturday in Bev's kitchen

Freezing Corn
7 of us Mennonite Girls live here in the Fraser Valley 
where Chilliwack is known far and wide for its excellent corn.
At this time of year you'll be seeing a lot of posts featuring sweet Chilliwack corn,
 both here at MGCC as well as on some of our personal blogs.
Today I have a couple of tips for freezing corn.

  • Husk the corn cobs, removing the silk.  I don't get too worried if there is a bit of silk left among the kernels - it just tells my family and friends that the corn they are eating was fresh from the farm.
  • Place in a large pot and cover with cold water and add 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1 or 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. I have a tall soup pot that I use and I find I can get a good dozen cobs in it if I stand them on end.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Have a sink full of ice water ready and when the pot boils, drain the hot water off and plunge the cobs into the ice water.
  • Remove from the water once they have cooled down.
  • Get your freezer bags ready by marking them with the date.
  • Using a cutting board set into a large baking pan, and a sharp knife, stand a cob on end and cut the kernels close to the cob.  Set the cobs aside but don't throw them away yet.
  • Take the "naked" cob, stand it up on a plate and run the blade of your knife down the cob.  This will strip all the leftover bits of corn on to the plate.  I then bag this juicy goodness separately and mark it to use for corn chowder later.
  • Place into freezer bags, remove as much air from the bag as possible and close tightly.
  • Place bags in freezer and enjoy summer goodness long into the winter.
For other suggestions for freezing corn, see Marg's post on creamed corn.








Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »